The church was opened in July 1927. The architect was John Bernard Mendham (London), who gave his services free of charge as it was his first commission. The building's design exhibits gothic influence, especially in the window traceries, but also Arts and Crafts sensibilities in use of materials. It is made of slatey stone with a slate-clad bell-tower of Sussex type, originally tiled.
The interior is unplastered, thickly pointed rough stone contrasting with pale ashlar piers. The nave roof is open, the chancel ceiling pannelled and painted. It is thought that the church was built as a result of an expanding population in the area.