Welcome to St Celynnin’s in Lwyngwril. The village of Llwyngwril is situated to the west of the A493 coastal road between Fairbourne, some three miles to the north and the village of Llangelynnin, two miles to the south, at the mouth of the River Gwril.
The village is in the old parish of Llangelynnin, which has two churches, both dedicated to Saint Celynnin. The more modern one, built in 1842, is in the centre of Llwyngwril.
Saint Celynnin is a medieval saint that is traditionally thought to be the son of Helig ap Glanawg, a prince resided at Llys Helig before the sea flooded the land off the coast of Penmaenmawr. Tradition states that he was related to Rhun, the son of Maelgwn Gwynedd, Prince of Gwynedd, who is recorded as living in the sixth century, and that he was also a brother to Rhychwyn. Saint Celynnin and his brothers were all considered saints.
Visitors are welcome to visit the Church which is open every day from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm except on Sunday when it is open from 9.00 am to 6.00 pm. In the event of any query the Churchwarden can be contacted on 01341 250534.